We are aware of the general hygiene habits like washing our hands, face, & feet whenever we come home, brushing teeth, bathing every day, etc. But in between, we have forgotten about sexual hygiene, which is equally important.
The following article has everything you should know about why sexual hygiene is essential for both men & women & how we should maintain it.
Maintaining sexual hygiene plays a significant role in supporting overall health. It helps avoid the risk of getting any infection in your intimate area, resulting in severe issues like infertility, urinary tract infection (UTIs), etc.
Apart from preventing infections, sexual hygiene reduces the chances of contracting sexually transmitted diseases like HIV, gonorrhea, syphilis, etc. Also, taking care of your sexual hygiene before & after intercourse boosts your sexual confidence and makes you feel comfortable with each other.
How to maintain sexual health?
- The vagina is a self-cleansing organ. It gets clear from the inside with natural vaginal secretion.
- Always use gentle, non-fragrant, and plain soaps to clean your vagina.
- Consider washing your genital area twice a day and your hands before & after intercourse.
- Taking care of your vagina during periods is also a part of maintaining sexual hygiene. Menstrual blood absorbed can cause bacterial infection & toxic shock syndrome if avoided.
- Always remember to change sanitary napkins, tampons, or menstrual cups at regular intervals.
- If you are using pads, make sure to purchase the ones made from natural material instead of plastic, as they can cause harmful infections.
- Consider wearing cotton underwear instead of synthetic thongs or lace ones as it has space to breathe.
- It would good to have a medical opinion from the gynecologist to know what soap should you use to maintain normal pH levels.
- Remember to wash the foreskin thoroughly with gentle, plain, and unperfumed soap every day.
- Try cleaning your private area twice a day as sweat & hair can form unpleasant odors. It doesn’t impact the health negatively but can make your partner uncomfortable.
- Don’t forget to wash the base and the testicles properly to ensure they are odor-free.
- Always remember to wash your hands & penis before & after sex to avoid germs & infections.
- Along with washing, cleaning also includes trimming public hair.
- Always remember to have a medical checkup once in a while & also when you feel any irritation, patch, etc.
Besides following regular sexual hygiene, a good diet, daily exercise, avoiding cigarettes, tobacco, etc., are also integral parts of sexual health. It leads to a steady flow of blood that helps to maintain erection & lubrication in men & women, respectively.
How to increase awareness?
Knowledge is the key to success. But, unfortunately, most people don’t have appropriate sex education, which is vital to learn. It envelopes everything from how to navigate your relationship to societal beliefs and sexual health.
If you don’t talk with your partner, you will never get comfortable with each other. So if you don’t like any situation or you are not comfortable doing anything, say it. Knowing & communicating will help you to know each other better.
- Consult with a doctor
Book an appointment with a doctor if you feel any discomfort post-sexual intercourse that continues for a more extended period than expected. Never ignore or procrastinate the screening as it may escalate your & your partner getting affected by it.
Sexual health includes physical, mental, emotional, and social health, which is why it is vital to be fully informed of it and follow your sexual hygiene routine religiously to be more careful & respectful to your partner.