Protein is one of the important nutrients and bodybuilding blocks, which serves as fuel to make the body function effectively and efficiently. Apart from being an energy source, protein has other benefits also. It includes:
- Protein enzymes in combination with other molecules like vitamins, minerals, etc., help in proper digestion, energy production, etc.
- It helps in the growth, maintenance, and repair of body tissues and cells.
- It helps to balance various pH levels like blood, stomach, etc., as irregular pH levels can be harmful.
- Protein plays an essential role in boosting immunity. It creates antibodies, which restrict the foreign virus or bacteria to enter the body.
- Protein also has transport & storage capacity. Like hemoglobin transfers oxygen to tissues, and ferritin protein stores iron.
With increasing stress on health care, physical fitness, and immunity, the consumption of proteins and other macronutrients such as carbohydrates, vitamins, etc., is increasing worldwide. However, the consumption of a protein-rich diet is still awaiting attention in India.
As per researches, more than 73% of India is protein deficient. One of the main causes of deficiency is the lack of awareness among people about the importance of proteins in the body. Secondly, the aware audience does not know how much protein they need, what items are protein-rich, if they are having adequate protein in their food, etc.
Protein deficiency is more common in vegetarians & vegan diet followers because of the declining consumption of milk, meat, and pulses, which are excellent sources of protein.
The lack of protein can invite diseases and is harmful to our bodies. It can cause muscle loss, weaken immunity, heart, and lungs, etc.
However, with time government has taken various steps to increase awareness of what role protein-rich nutritious diet plays in our lives to help us stay healthy active.
Connect with a doctor or a nutritionist to know your body’s nutrient requirement, and add protein sources like beans, lentils, nuts, fish, chicken, etc., to your diet as per your choice.